Full Text:1888 Gardner S. Southworth, Sentinel editor and post master is serving a term in Illinois legislature. Noble Hill joined Todd School as associate principal. Some of the stores on the Square were Donnelly girls, hats; Stafford's Furniture Store; Albert Soper, monuments; Capt. Kelly, wagon repair; Derry's music store; Andrew's Blacksmith; Bunker & Brother, groceries & hardware; Delbert Wright's Drug Store; I.T. Salisbury, dry goods; Murphy's Drug Store & Jeweler; Choate Dry Goods; Mrs. Church's hats; Leeidigthe barber; McFadden, stoves & tinware; Sanford the tailor; Geo. Bordwell, the butcher; Tripp, harness mender; National Bank; Yankee Sherman, jeweler; U.S. Post Office; Burney Sherman's gun repair; C.F. Thome, shoe repair; E.H. Richmond, harness maker; Gallaher & Schneider, barbers; Whitson & Brother, hardware; Zimpelmann & Kappler, Grocery; M.D. Hoy & Son, dry goods; Bart Austin, crockery & groceries. June 1, Alderman W.W. Cook, made a motion that the city purchase the John Bunker empty lot at the corner of Dean and the Public Square for $2,000. Vote to build the City Hall. 1889 City Hall is erected with Simon Brink & Smith Hoag, architect, as overseers. Provision is made for a public library, reading room, council room, magistrate's office, police and fire department. The basement contains the city calaboose or jail, steam heating plant, & storage room. Second floor is the opera house with gaslights. The State Bank of Woodstock chartered & Mayor E.C. Jewett was cashier. April 20, Woodstock Chamber of Commerce was chartered and organized. The Chicago Industrial Home for Children, located on Seminary Avenue, was incorporated. 1890 Opera House was dedicated with entertainment by Patti Rosa & Company who produced "Margery Daw" on September 2nd. Population of Woodstock was 1,683. John C. Donnelly was elected to the Illinois House of Representatives. The Woodstock Library Association vote to move books to a room in City Hall. 1891 Transferred the library to the city of Woodstock on January 26. The old Presbyterian Church building on Church Street, owned by T. J. Dacy, was fitted for an armory for Company G. Chicago Telephone Company put in new poles and took out old ones. September 12th ball game between the Judd and Jackson Street and the Alley boys was the most interesting of the season. October 24 Wm. Kennedy plans to open a billiard and poolroom in the Kimball building on Main Street. 1892-1901 1892 Fire on east side of Main St. started at Waverley House by a kerosene lamp Jan. 5. Destroyed the hotel, 2 saloons, billiard parlor, harness shop, feed store, boot & shoe store, several residences; $35,000 loss; little or no insurance. Favorable wind limits the damage. Citizens have a charity ball to raise money for relief and many sewing bees to make clothes and bedding for the fire victims. Whitcomb L. Judson of Chicago invents the zipper. McHenry County Fair celebrates 25th Anniversary; held on two weekends. Woodstock Sentinel begins publication of Daily Sentinel a free advertising supplement delivered door-to-door. Prof. Noble Hill purchases Todd School for $20,000 from Richard Kimball Todd; to pay $1,000 per year for 20 years. The school has three buildings; Hill makes extensive renovations and begins to build reputation. 1893 A huge fire demolishes south half, east side of Square April 15 & 16. Destroys infamous "Rat Hole" which contained meat market, tin shop, tailor shop, shoe shop. Also burns German Lutheran Church, barbershop, hardware store, milling shop and the hook and ladder company. Fire began in M. Church's livery barn. Few had enough insurance but all relocate to other space. Finishes off all of the original ramshackle buildings on the Square. The "Woodstock Ladies Benevolent Penny Society" is formed by group of women living at south end of Washington St "to work for and to do good". Hold suppers, teas, band concerts and sell cookbook to raise money to buy food for the hungry, sew clothing, bedding for the poor and provide holiday provisions for families that could not afford them. The Columbian Exposition to celebrate the 400th anniversary of America's discovery held in Chicago from May to Nov. Many Woodstock residents visited the fair; saw visitors from all over the world. Exhibits of Edison's light bulb, Tesla's electric coil, Westinghouse's alternating current dynamo, electric transformer and motor; also the first Ferris wheel and the hootchy-kootchy dancer "Little Eqypt". Woodstock Public Improvement Committee leads efforts to attract industry by raising funds to purchase property and erect building. Buys 5 A. just east of railroad roundhouse on First Street.