Full Text:WOODSTOCK; ILL. THE "SCHOOL" TODD'S SEMINARY FOR BOYS. Todd Seminary for Boys. This institution was founded by the Rev. R. K. Todd, A. M., November 14th, 1847. It is nicely situated at Woodstock, McHenry county, Ill., about two hours' ride on the Northwestern division of the C. & N. W. R. R., far enough from the city to be free from interruptions or contaminating influences. In healthfulness and charm of surrounding scenery the location is an ideal one of beauty and fertility. The management of the school makes the statement: "That with a record of fifty years' experience they have never had a serious case of sickness or a death among their pupils," The location affords pure air and water, and plenty of outdoor exercise, which, together with vigilant attention to the personal habits of the scholars, have combined to secure this record for health. The present principal of the school, Mr. Noble Hill, was born in Nova Scotia, and was a resident of Boston during his early life. He was connected with the Todd Seminary from 1888 until January, 1892, as associate principal of the school, when he became the sole owner of the institution. Todd Seminary is not a reform school in any sense, but is especially designed for those who are deprived of proper home influences, or because of natural timidity have been unable to keep up with their classes in the public schools. The enrollment is limited to thirty pupils, and no boys over fifteen years of age are accepted. The most careful attention is exercised in securing the teachers, and only those especially adapted to the vacancy to be filled are accepted. Todd Seminary is in many respects what its principal is ambitious to make it—an ideal home school for boys. For further information pertaining to this popular institution parents or guardians can address its principal, who will be pleased to send printed matter containing a full text of the object and efforts of the school and its special work in the interests of the boys entrusted to its care. NOBLE HILL, Principal. E. E. Richards. The subject of this sketch has been a well-known public man and resident of Woodstock for over forty years. He is a native of New England and came to this city in 1852. He was township clerk in 1861, resigning this position to become a member of the 15th regiment, Illinois infantry volunteers. He was elected city clerk upon his return from the war, was several times a member of the city council, was clerk of the circuit court for twelve years, was president of the village of Woodstock before it was incorporated, and has been the mayor during several terms since then. He is the president of the public library board, senior member of the firm of Richards, Jewett & Wright, president of the State Bank, and is one of the most honored and esteemed citizens of this section. Geo. F. Mills, Furrier. This business was established in Woodstock in 1888, and is under the personal management of Mr. Mills, who has been connected with the line for over twenty-five years. He came to Woodstock from Omaha, and since starting in business has increased his line from $1,000 to $25,000 per annum. He is a manufacturer of what is known as the "Odorless Russian Dog Coats," robes, etc., and is doing an extensive business all over the northwestern states. Mr. Mills is a member of the M. W. of A., the Court of Honor, and is one of the popular and substantial business men of Woodstock. Richards, Jewett & Wright, Abstracts. The books owned by this firm are the only complete set of abstract books in McHenry county. They were started in 1867 by Mr. A. H. Sellers, who is now the president of the Chicago Title and Trust Co. His work in connection with them was supplemented by several other parties until they came into the possession of Mr. E. E. Richards (in 1870), the senior member of the present firm. In 1883 Mr. Emil Arnold bought a half interest in the books and was a partner with Mr. Richards until 1887, retiring his interest in the business to Mr. Jewett. The present firm was established in 1894, and consists of E. E. Richards, E. C. Jewett and Charles B. Wright, all of whom are also connected with the State Bank of Woodstock, and have been interested in nearly everything pertaining to the advancement of the city. More extended reference is made of both Mr. Richards and Mr. Jewett in another column of this issue. THE "GYMNASIUM" TODD'S SEMINARY FOR BOYS.