Full Text:WOODSTOCK, ILL. McHenry County. Up to 1837 the territory comprising the present counties of McHenry and Lake, was a part of Cook county, but by legislative enactment in that year the territory comprising these two counties was designated as McHenry county, and the county seat was located at McHenry, on the Fox river, The Legislature of 1838-9 passed an act restricting McHenry county to its present boundaries, and in 1843 the county seat was located in the geographical center of the county, on the site of what is now the city of Woodstock. The present county officers are representative men of this section, and are fulfilling the duties of their several positions in an acceptable manner. L. D. Lowell, Master in Chancery. To acceptably fill this position requires a man of broad mental abilities, conscientious inclinations, a student of human nature and profound knowledge of the law, all of which are possessed by the present incumbent of the office, and he has fulfilled the exacting duties of the position in the most acceptable manner. He enjoys the confidence and esteem of the citizens of McHenry county, and is one of its most respected citizens. Henry Keyes, County Treasurer. Mr. Keyes was born at Kane county, Ill., and has been a resident of McHenry county since 1849. He served in the war of the rebellion, enlisting in 1861 in the 15th Illinois regiment, serving until 1864. He was afterwards engaged in the carpenter business, until he was elected county treasurer in 1894, which position he has filled ever since with credit to himself and satisfaction to his constituents. Geo. Eckert, Sheriff McHenry County, Ill. Mr. Eckert is a native of France, and was born in 1843, coming to America when he was six years old. He lived on a farm for ten years until 1859, when he came to Woodstock and has lived there ever since. He was engaged in the war of the rebellion, serving from 1862 until 1865, returning to Woodstock. He was township collector for two terms, was a member of the City Council for fourteen years, and has served in his present capacity from 1886 to 1890, and from 1894 to the present time. He is a member of the Woodstock G. A. R. Post, No. 108, is its present adjutant, and is a highly esteemed official and citizen. He was interested in the grocery business from 1890 to 1894, as a member of the firm of Eckert & Young. O. H. Gillmore, County Judge. Is one of the prominent attorneys of this section, is a profound student of the law, has maintained the dignity of his position to an eminent degree and has rendered distinctive services to the community. Judge Gillmore is a man of more than local reputation, and is a valued member of the government of McHenry county. INTERIOR OF POSTOFFICE, WOODSTOCK, ILL. G. B. Richards, County Recorder, Is a native of McHenry county, and was born in 1850. He was educated in the common schools and at the state university. He has been engaged in farming for a number of years, except four years which he spent in the mercantile business in Iowa, He was assessor and supervisor of the town for about twelve years, up to 1896, when he was elected recorder on the Republican ticket. Mr. Richards is a prominent member of the Masons and Odd Fellows. COURTHOUSE AND JAIL, MCHENRY COUNTY, ILL.