Full Text:16 HEADLIGHT. S. B. Cunningham, Contractor and Builder. This is one of the most extensive and representative houses in the line of contracting and building. The proprietor, Mr. Cunningham, is a native of Illinois, and has been located in Woodstock since 1881. He has been engaged in the contracting business since 1890; and to his ability Woodstock owes some of its most pretentious buildings. He erected the Armory building, Evans & Kilians market and several of the more ornate residences of the city, including that of Mr. O. F. Thorne, E. R. Bird, LA. Austin and a number of others. The business extends throughout all the territory tributary to Woodstock. L. R. Lines, Livery. In addition to operating a first-class livery stable for the past sixteen years, and at his present location since the spring of 1896, Mr. Lines is an extensive dealer in horses. He is a native of New York state, and for the past twenty years has lived in Wisconsin and Illinois. He has one of the best equipped livery barns in Woodstock, does a general boarding and livery business, and can turn out as fine a rig as anyone in the line. Special rates are made for the benefit of the commercial and other traveling men, and when necessary careful and experienced drivers are furnished upon application. The establishment is known as the "Main Street Livery Stable" F. W. Buell, Flour and Feed, Mr. Buell is a native of Fulton county, and was born in 1856. His mill is one of the best equipped buildings of its kind in the county and does a general business in flour, grain, mill feed and grinding. He is a member of the Council, representing the North Ward, and is one of the most progressive business men of the city. He does an extensive business, has a wide acquaintance and has been a resident of Woodstock for a number of years. He is public-spirited, thoroughly identified with the material interests of the city. Caskey & Burger, Flour, Feed and Coal. This firm are the successors of Bagley & Caskey, established in 1889, and under the present management since 1893. They do a general milling business, are agents for the Pillsbury, Jersey Lily and Hard-to-Beat brands of flour, and are dealers in all kinds of feed, hard and soft coal, etc., both retail and wholesale. Mr. Caskey is a native of New York state, and has lived in Woodstock since 1877. Mr. Burger was born in Lake, Ill., was engaged in farming until becoming interested in his present business. Both members of the firm are well-known, popular and respected citizens of McHenry county, and are doing a successful and increasing business. Hotel Central, D. F. McCauley, Proprietor. This hotel contains a well arranged dining hall, which seats about fifty people. Single meals are 35 cents, and the regular rate is $1.50 per day. It was established about three years ago. Mr. McCauley is a native of the county, and has been a resident of Woodstock for several years. I. A. Austin, Livery. Mr. Austin is a native of New York state, and has lived in McHenry county, Illinois, since 1840, and is one of the originators in locating the site of Woodstock. In fact, he was one of the first two persons to sleep on the site of where Woodstock now is. He went to California in 1849, returning to Woodstock in 1865, and went into business. He has been engaged in the livery business since 1875 at its present location. It is the oldest livery barn in the city, and has the reputation of being one of the best in this section. CASKEY & BUKGER, FLOUR, FEED ETC. Malte Schwabe, Jeweler and Expert Watchmaker. Mr. Schwabe is a native of Germany, where he learned the watchmaking trade in all its branches. He carries full line of everything connected with the business, and makes a specialty of fine watch repairing, and since he located in Woodstock in 1897 has enjoyed a constantly increasing business. B. F. Ellsworth, General Repair Shop. This is a steam power repair plant erected in 1880, and has since increased to its present capacity. The shop is fitted up with the latest improved machinery for wood and iron, and has facilities for repairing anything from a bicycle to a traction engine. The equipment includes a fifteen horse power engine with a high-pressure boiler, which supplies sufficient steam to the factory and is also used for heating Mr. Ellsworth's residence, which is situated close to the shop. He has a blacksmith shop in connection with his business and does an extensive trade in all kinds of turning, grinding, etc., and carries a large stock of hardwood lumber, wagon material, wagon skeins, sleigh shoes, etc. F. W. BUELL, MILL. B. F. ELLSWORTH, RESIDENCE AND MACHINE SHOP.