Full Text:WOODSTOCK, ILL. WOODSTOCK BREWING AND BOTTLING WORKS. Geo O. Vermilya, Agent C. & N. W. R. R. Mr. Vermilya was born in Barrington. Cook county, Ill., and has been in the railroad business continuously without the loss of a day since 1873. He was agent at Crystal Lake from 1883 to 1887, when he received his present appointment at Woodstock. He is a member of the A. F. & A. M., A. O. U. W., the K. O. T. G., and in addition to his popular social qualities he fulfills the duties of his position with satisfaction to the authorities and the patrons of the road. J. D. Donovan, Agricultural Implements, Carriages, Etc. Mr. Donovan has resided in Woodstock since 1871, and has been engaged in his present line at the same location since 1884. He handles all kinds of agricultural implements and carries a complete stock of wagons and carriages. He has an extensive trade throughout McHenry and the surrounding counties. Mr. Donovan is a popular and well-known citizen and has served as mayor of Woodstock for two terms. W. B. Austin, Farm Machinery and Carriages. Mr. Austin is a native of New York state, located in McHenry county when ten years of age and has been in business for himself since 1857. He started in the grocery and hardware business, and has been in his present line since 1863. He moved into the building now occupied in the spring of 1878, and bought the property during the same year. He is the agent for the McCormick's farming machinery line, carries a complete stock of carriages, wagons and agricultural implements, and is doing an extensive trade throughout McHenry and the near-by country. E. R. Bird, Harness Dealer. This business is known as the "old reliable" manufacturer and dealer in all kinds of harness goods, and has been in existence at Woodstock since the spring of 1866. Mr. Bird was born at Chautauqua county, New York, and since locating in Woodstock has built up an extensive trade throughout McHenry and adjoining counties. He is one of the oldest and best known merchants in the city, and is one of the leading men in this section in his line. Woodstock Brewing and Bottling Co This concern dates its origin from about 1858, and was started in a small way with modest facilities for the manufacture of beer. Their early experiences demonstrated their ability to overcome obstacles, until today the concern has one of the most complete brewing establishments in the north-West. They have kept abreast of the most modern methods, and have grown from a small plant, making from six to eight barrels per day, to its present capacity of one hundred and fifty barrels per day. The company manufacture their own "malt,", and warrant their product to be strictly pure. They received the "blue ribbon" at the state fair at Springfield, Ill., 1897, for the purity and health- fulness of their beer. The plant is equipped with a twenty-five ton ice machine, which keeps their cellars and storerooms at an even temperature, both summer and winter. The buildings and their equipment are complete in every respect, containing the most improved machinery in every department, A large bottling department is connected with the brewery, and they manufacture an extensive line of mineral waters, ginger ale, soda water, etc., and the product of the brewery in both departments is in constant demand throughout northern Illinois, southern Wisconsin and other tributary points. Mr. Henry Herman, president of the company, has been connected with the institution for more than thirty years, is its principal stockholder, and to his energy and indomitable perseverance and business tact the company largely owes its present business and substantial growth. He has been ably assisted by Emil Arnold, the secretary of the company, and son-in-law of Mr. Herman, w^ho has devoted his time and ability to the upbuilding of this business. Murphy's Block, The largest and most solidly built business block in McHenry county, was erected by John J. Murphy, in 1875. Its business rooms on street floor, its elegant hall for dancing and for concert and theatrical entertainments, and its hotel accommodations marked at that time a great advancement on the old order and conditions of the town. At the present time the rooms on the street floor are occupied by the following: Murphy & Mullen, whose existence in mercantile business in Woodstock dates back to 1857, and who during every year since that time have done a larger business than was done by any other house in the county; Charles F. Thorne, doing a very fine business in boots, shoes, hats, clothing and men's furnishing goods; George F. Mills, dealer in jewelry; post-office, which was located in the block before its completion; the McHenry County Abstract Company, under the management of Mr. W. C. Eichelberger, and the banking office of John J. Murphy. The upper part is occupied as Hotel Woodstock. J. J. MURPHY BLOCK.